Friday, January 05, 2007

Synchronicity

Slept though the alarm this morning. Well, actually, I guess that’s not 100% true. I heard and I did wake up, just long enough to turn it off and go back to sleep :P. Stayed up way too late last night reading The Artist’s Way at Work – just couldn’t get myself to put it down. It was one of those times when I felt like God or the universe was messaging me directly through the words on the page. Everything just seemed to be hitting home and melding perfectly with the goal I decided on last night on the drive home. It’s really making me a believer in the whole synchronicity concept.

I started reading when we got back to our house with the boys while Logan watched TV. The Artist’s Way at Work is a book I actually purchased before Logan was born, while Glenn and I were both still working in the City. I bought it at a discount bookstore on a whim. When I tried to read it at that time, I quickly lost interest in the book after a few pages. I couldn’t seem to keep focused on the reading – the words weren’t striking any chords at that time. Then just last week, before I got the email to start the Heidi Swapp BPS class, I looked down at the bottom shelf of my bookcase, where the book had been collecting dust for close to 4 years, and just thought “hmm, maybe I’ll give it another go.”

For me, that’s the amazing thing about books and writing – it allows people to share their thoughts/feelings/emotions/experience with other people without having to be in the same room, country or even lifetime. That’s amazing. What’s even more amazing is that because people are so different and shaped by their own thoughts/feelings/emotions/experience that impact their perceptions and points of view, the same exact words read by two different people can be interpreted in completely different ways. And both interpretations can be right! How cool is that?!

Over the past year, I’ve daydreamed of writing some sort of self-help, advice book that would start off with an intro where I describe the synchronicity of books – how I’m not a professional psychologist or trained psychiatrist, but more of a human nature enthusiast – listening, watching, observing, analyzing, noting behaviors, communication patterns, expressions of emotion; how I am sharing what I’ve observed because “something” compelled me to capture my thoughts/experiences/observations on paper. Later on, someone else may be compelled, perhaps initially attracted by the color combination or visual appeal of the cover, to pick it up and read it. That compelling force is a manifestation of the synchronicity of the universe. The message contained in the pages of a book may not ring true for the person at that point in time, perhaps they’ll let it collect on a shelf somewhere for a bit, but when they or someone close to them comes to need the message, they’ll remember the dusty book is there and pick it up.

Wow, I’m really feeling the affects of not having done my morning pages today. The words and thoughts just aren’t flowing as they did with yesterday’s entry. I find myself hesitating, rechecking, and misspelling noticeably more. I must’ve edited the paragraph above about 50 times! The flow’s just not there. Tomorrow morning, it’s morning pages, first thing, for sure.

Having trouble capturing creative images for my Project 352 Photoblog as well. I’m just not capturing anything that’s visually interesting…I think I’ll have to Photoshop the hell out of something to get it worthwhile enough to post. I’ll start working on that now. Maybe I’ll have better luck with that than I’m having with this journal entry.

-- AGR

No comments: